Saturday, August 26th marks the passing of the 19th Amendment, granting the right to vote to select American women.
The progress of women’s equality in Arizona is gaining attention, and efforts to increase the level of public awareness and garner bipartisan support to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment are not going away anytime soon. We will continue to fight for equality and encourage women to get out and vote.
Because… WHEN WOMEN VOTE, WOMEN WIN!
There are two very special events to commemorate this special day: one in Phoenix and one in Tucson!
2:00 PM – 5:00 PM, North High School Auditorium, 1101 East Thomas Road, Phoenix
We are very excited to be celebrating this important day with women and men from all across Arizona. We invite you to help us honor the women who came before us, the women who are standing beside us, and the women who are preparing to lead us.
This year’s program will focus on the importance of ratifying the ERA (Equal Rights Amendment), and the continued efforts to encourage women to run for office.
- KEYNOTE speaker: JESSICA NEUWIRTH, President of the ERA Coalition, an organization working to support passage and ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. She is one of the founders of Equality Now, an international human rights organization aiming to end violence and discrimination against women. She is also the author of EQUAL MEANS EQUAL: Why The Time For An Equal Rights Amendment Is Now.
- Dr. Karon Jolna, Program Director & Editor of Ms. in the Classroom for Ms. Magazine, and Feminist Majority Foundation
- Sara Bradshaw, West Coast Political Director for Feminist Majority Foundation, trailblazing feminist leader, organizer and educator. Most recently Sara led FMF’s Equal Rights Amendment Walks in Los Angeles and Palo Alto, as well as organizing for the Nevada ERA. Sara also leads the Feminist Majority Foundation’s current End Child Marriage campaign.
- Once again, we are delighted to have Kim Covington, Senior Director of Community Initiatives for the Arizona Community Foundation, and former 12News Anchor, as our Emcee for the afternoon.
- Parade of Runners: Women currently running for office and incumbent elected officials
- Dessert reception
- Music by African Rhythm
- Networking, sponsored tabling, voter registration
- 2:00 PM: Registration begins (cafeteria)
- 3:00 PM: Program begins (auditorium)
- Dessert reception immediately following the program (cafeteria)
General admission: $10 in advance, $15 day of the event (kids under 12 free). CASH ONLY. Donations are also accepted through Eventbrite ticketing.
For tabling and sponsorship opportunities, please contact: Anne Guerrant at 602-740-5622, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Dana Saylor at 602-740-0840, email@example.com
8 AM – 1 PM, YWCA Southern Arizona – Frances McClelland Community Center, 525 N. Bonita Ave., Tucson
Women’s Equality Day: Courageous Conversations: This event raises diverse voices to discuss the status of feminism and how we can achieve equality and justice for ALL women. Event is free but tickets are required. Food trucks will be available for lunch. For more information and tickets, see the Eventbrite page.